Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog in the garden

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog in the garden

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Hello

thank you again for getting back to me. She still continues to come into the garden which I love.

I actually went through my camera pictures and videos from the first night she came in. It turns out there were 2! yes 2 hedgehogs on the first night which was the beginning of july. Unfortunately i’ve not seen 2 since, and the other hedgehog appeared to be older and not walking so well. I’m hoping it was maybe an older one. Otherwise I’m gutted because at that time, before I knew of the damage of mealworms, that’s all they would’ve been eating.

I keep hoping to see them both together again soon.

Hello all

I’m new here and very excited and passionate about my new little guests. I think I have two big ones and a smaller one but it’s hard to tell – they don’t look dissimilar – let’s face it. I have a trail camera and the first thing I do every morning is race out in my nightie, grab the camera and take it back to bed with a cup of tea and see what antics have occurred overnight.

I have made 3 hog feeding stations out of clear plastic boxes from IKEA. They are like Goldilocks – they go in and out of the boxes to see what dish of food they prefer. I have been giving them mealworms but I will slowly phase them out now.

My problem is that no matter what I try, the cat from next door manages to contort himself into all shapes to get through baffles into my boxes. So I’ve ditched the wet cat food now which is a shame. The hogs just weren’t getting a look in.

I’m delighted to be part of this community. I live in Bishops Waltham which is a semi rural village between Winchester and Southampton.

Hi julesforf
    You sound just like me, obsessed LOL! It’s comforting to know I’m not the only mad woman, rushing out into the garden in my nightie to retrieve last nights cam footage, it is my first task of the day everyday!😂
    I am absolutely overrun with cats here and I’ve gone to all sorts of lengths to outwit those clever little pussies . I have four feeding stations, all different styles and makes. I have one of the plastic home made feeds made from an under bed box. I usually put the food at the furthest end x2 dishes one of meat mixed with spikes moist and one of the spikes dry biscuit. I have found that if I put a brick inside the box and wedge the dishes in, the cats are unable to reach the dishes to drag them forward. It seems to be working and the hogs are getting access to all the food. Maybe worth a try?
    Happy hog watching, I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning when I rush out in my nightie to get my latest pics! x

Hettihog!

Lovely to meet you. I’m going to try the brick trick tonight. I’m also going to order some Spikes wet food. Thanks so much for the advice – I’m so glad I found this website! My next worry is about helping them hibernate if I still have them but I’ll cross that hoggy bridge when I get to it 🤪

Hi julesford – I’m quite new to this hog fascination as well – I’m learning loads and love the forum. It’s the only place I can talk about my obsession without people thinking I’m crazy lol I think my hubby has now perfected the art of looking like he’s interested when he’s really not! Lol
    Good luck with the brick.
    Really lovely to chat with you. x

Hi-
    Enjoy watching the hedgehogs they are fascinating. Sadly the trail cam does pick up injured hedgehogs but unless you can wait up all night for them or know where the nest is we can’t always help. Just giving them good food and plenty of water might help.
    Obviously if you ever saw him again and he was still limping perhaps you could get him help by contacting your local carer.
    Keep us posted with your sightings

Hello,
    Well done for finding the forum.
    WARNING- Hedgehogs lead to mad compulsive behaviour!

My ritual used to be getting out of bed, making coffee, running out to front garden in dressing gown,climbing through the shrubs to where the trail cam was focused on the secluded feeding station and hog house.
    1 year on…..All the same AND go into back garden to retrieve 2nd cam focused on side gate with bit removed to see which HH’s are travelling to front and back.
    18 months all the same AND retrieve 3rd cam at back fence to see who is coming in that way

The other half thinks I have gone mad and he could be right……..
    All my friends now know I am obsessed and last count I had gifts of HH tea towels, oven gloves, scarf,garden solar lights, garden pretend HH’s HH candle holders and 8 HH ornaments

So welcome to all of us that love the spikey ones.

simbo65 great post! Lol
    I feel I have to share it with my hubby so he knows just what I’ve got myself mixed up in!
    I’ve already suggested I may need a second camera if he’s struggling with ideas for my Christmas present! He already thinks I’ve lost the plot! If he reads enough of the posts he will begin to realise it can only get worse! Lol

It sounds like we should seriously consider setting up some self-help groups for Hogaholics. Remember that with all addictions admitting that you have a problem is always the first step to recovery. Perhaps they should start offering recovery programs on the NHS since Hogaholism is clearly becoming a national crisis.

I have developed coping strategies for the worst effects of Hogaholism, I have stopped wearing nighties for one and that has prevented me from chasing cameras early in the morning. I think I am cured of that aspect of it now.

I have also stopped myself from pandering to all their whims and foibles. For example, regularly moving their food to set them challenges is a good one because it gives me a sense of being in control. Although they prefer Spikes semi-moist I now force them to eat Spikes Dry for days on end and not only does this save money but also increases one’s feeling of self-empowerment that again I am in control, not them. I no longer feel victimised and this is a major step towards recovery from Hogaholism.

Remember that every time you feel the urge to do something for them that you should fight it. Falling under their spell is fatal and will drive you further into the clutches of Hogaholism, you must recognise that however sweet they may appear that they ARE out to get you. They have a master plan to take over control of your garden, your house, your finances and yes, your children.

If you doubt me then just take a close look at a hedgehog. Can you spot the similarity between their faces and Jeremy Corbyn? Need I say more?

Good morning all

I’ve been feeding my three suet pellets with insects, mealworms (which are making them hysterical) and hedgehog kibble.

I’m trying to phase out the mealworms (3 litre bucket right here 🙄) . I was giving them cat food but the local cats were getting there first.

I’ve ordered some Spikes semi moist food and hoping that a strategically placed brick in my feeding station might deter the cat but I’m not holding my breath.

Are calci worms ok? These things are getting fed better than my children.

Nic

Hi julesford

When feeding hedgehogs, it’s sometimes a good idea to think what you would feed children. i.e. would you feed them lumps of fat – hopefully not. So I would cut out the suet pellets. Also don’t stick to one food type i.e. suet pellets, calci-worms, etc. unless it is a properly formulated hedgehog food, i.e. as you suggested Spikes or cat/dog food. Calci-worms are probably o.k. in small amounts, and o.k. in a properly formulated mix, but not as a main source of food. The best things you can feed are cat/dog/hedgehog food. It is best to stick to those and try to prevent cats from getting at the food. There are loads of ideas on the Forum, and photos section about how to deter cats. Hogs don’t need ‘treats’. It is a treat to them that they are getting some food provided at all. The way I see it, if we are going to encourage the hogs to come to us for food, then that food needs to be the best we can manage i.e. cat/dog/hedgehog food.

Being fairly new to the Forum you may have missed all the information about mealworms. They are not good for hogs and have very little nutritional value for them. They have an imbalance of calcium and phosphorous which can lead to calcium being leached from the bones of the hogs. Unfortunately, hogs love them and can become addicted, so you may need to reduce them gradually. It is especially important at this time of year, when young hoglets are around. Feeding mealworms to hogs can lead to metabolic bone disease.

You may find you need to change their diet gradually, hogs become used to eating what you have given them in the past and don’t always want to change immediately. But stick to it, if they are hungry they will begin to eat the stuff that’s better for them.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Nic

Hi julesford

When feeding hedgehogs, it’s sometimes a good idea to think what you would feed children. i.e. would you feed them lumps of fat – hopefully not. So I would cut out the suet pellets. Also don’t stick to one food type i.e. suet pellets, calci-worms, etc. unless it is a properly formulated hedgehog food, i.e. as you suggested Spikes or cat/dog food. Calci-worms are probably o.k. in small amounts, and o.k. in a properly formulated mix, but not as a main source of food. The best things you can feed are cat/dog/hedgehog food. It is best to stick to those and try to prevent cats from getting at the food. There are loads of ideas on the Forum, and photos section about how to deter cats. Hogs don’t need ‘treats’. It is a treat to them that they are getting some food provided at all. The way I see it, if we are going to encourage the hogs to come to us for food, then that food needs to be the best we can manage i.e. cat/dog/hedgehog food.

Being fairly new to the Forum you may have missed all the information about mealworms. They are not good for hogs and have very little nutritional value for them. They have an imbalance of calcium and phosphorous which can lead to calcium being leached from the bones of the hogs. Unfortunately, hogs love them and can become addicted, so you may need to reduce them gradually. It is especially important at this time of year, when young hoglets are around. Feeding mealworms to hogs can lead to metabolic bone disease.

You may find you need to change their diet gradually, hogs become used to eating what you have given them in the past and don’t always want to change immediately. But stick to it, if they are hungry they will begin to eat the stuff that’s better for them.

Nic

Hi julesford

P.S. I see that you are now trying to phase out the mealworms, which is good.

P.S. sorry if you get this twice. It seems the Forum is misbehaving, especially if you use edit.

And I thought that it was just me that was barking mad Simbo65, thank goodness I’m not the only one prowling the undergrowth in my dressing gown at the crack of dawn…what must the neighbours think! I was up to four cameras at one stage, but soon realised that there just wasn’t enough time in the day to review all of the footage. Anyway, the hogs sabotaged two of them, in the end it turned out to be a duff memory card and rechargeable batteries, but had me scratching my head for months…very clever!

Their food has taken over the kitchen and they are usually fed first much to the annoyance of the rest of the family…hmmm…wonder if that’s why my son’s just moved out! Novelty hoggy items have also taken over the rest of the house, wardrobe and garden, including coasters, slippers, and even condiments…I did refrain from purchasing a discounted hedgehog tea towel the other day though…one small victory at least.

Glad to hear that you are well on the way to recovery Williamc, resisting the urge to wear nighties is a huge step forward, not sure what to make of the Comrade Corbyn thing going on though, do you really think our prickly friends are in cahoots…eeeek!!! 🙂

WilliamC, I think I need help – I’m totally obsessed, and now get very exicted when I see a beetle in my garden, I’m also not sleeping, as going to bed later and later, (as I haven’t got a trail cam), I have dreamt about them, I’m boring everyone to tears about my hedgehog tales, and I was considering today of making a shallow pond so they can have a midnight dip – thinking I could turn my garden into a something that resembles a holiday resort but for hedgehogs with luxury accommodation, dotted under the bushes in the garden which they can stay over night in.

I desperately need a hoggy support group. As I’m currently obsessing over which is best – dried or semi-moist (only hedgehog lovers will know what that means).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog