Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hedgehog out back of my flat

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog out back of my flat

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I live in a block of 6 flats & work shifts, i walked out back door approx 5am about 6 weeks ago & security light come on, i wondered what was on the grass then realised it was a hedgehog, every morning that week he/she was there.
    At the end of the week i decided to help my new found friend, off to the shops i went until i found a place in erdington, birmingham who made Hedgehog houses (sold) lol, i then went on social media & found out how i could feed hedgehogs in a safe enviroment. All sorted & hid away under bushes behind flats. Everyday when i go to clean bowl all food is gone. I feed my little friend puppy food,spikes hedgehog food & mealworms also fresh water everyday.

Nic

Hi lisamozo

That’s a lovely story. Lucky hedgehog!

The only thing I would suggest is to cut out the mealworms, or at the very least keep them to an absolute minimum. The hogs do love them, but they don’t have much nutritional value and are implicated in metabolic bone disease.
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/i-feed-hedgehogs-mealworms/
    It’s really important, in the run up to hibernation that the hogs get the very best nutrition. Puppy food and hedgehog food are fine. I would keep leaving food out for at least a couple of weeks after you last see a hedgehog. Some people leave food out all winter in case a hungry hedgehog comes along. Occasionally hedgehogs will decide not to hibernate at all. Also leaving water out all day every day is a good idea.

If you’re hoping that the hedgehog will hibernate in the hog house, it’s a good idea to leave plenty of nesting material nearby so that the hog can make it’s own nest. So, dried leaves, grasses, hay, straw, etc. They make very intricate nests, much better than we could do, I think!

Good luck. I hope the hedgehog either stays around or returns in the Spring after hibernation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog