Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

hedgehog with splayed back legs

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog hedgehog with splayed back legs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

HELLO HOG LOVERS
    CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME ABOUT HEDGEHOGS WITH SPLAYED REAR LEGS PLEASE?
    WE SAW A HOG A FEW TIMES IN MAY WHO APPEARED TO HAVE BACK LEGS SPLAYED AND WALKED QUITE SLOWLY AND AWKWARDLY. WE WENT AWAY ON HOLIDAY SOON AFTER LEAVING THE NEIGHBOURS TO FEED HER (AND OTHERS).
    ON OUR RETURN (A MONTH LATER), WE DID NOT SEE HER AGAIN AND ASSUMED THE WORST.
    OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS A VERY SIMILAR HOG, WHO WE ALSO KNOW TO BE A FEMALE, HAS STARTED TO APPEAR REGULARLY AND ALSO HAS THESE “SPLAYED” BACK LEGS. WE DON’T KNOW YET IF IT IS THE SAME ONE AS WE NEED TO TRY AND GET GOOD PHOTOS, BUT IT DOES WALK BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS ONE AND CAN STAND AND SCRATCH WITH BOTH BACK LEGS ETC. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS CONDITION AND COULD/SHOULD ANY ACTION BE TAKEN? WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY ADVICE.
    THANKS

I would ring BHPS ASAP and see what they say.
    It sounds very odd and would make me think the hog is injured……

Let us know what they say

It could be the same hedgehog who has got a bit better but probably still in need of treatment.

Marion, Hi –

Exploring my recent experiences with an injured Hog ( also to it’s back leg )may shed some light..

Apparently, if you have foxes nearby – they won’t necessarily attempt to prey on a fit, fully grown Hog ( I’ve footage on our night cam where the Hog just hunkers down, doesn’t even bother to ball up properly – Fox takes one sniff & moves onto the easy food )

But, sometimes when Hog does balls up & Fox is feeling playful, it’ll wait until it unrolls to make a run for it, only to nip at it’s back legs, for ‘fun’..

The resulting injury will often get infected & whilst ours could shift pretty well on 3 wheels when it needed to.. it’s chances of survival would’ve been hugely reduced..

So, as Simbo says – best get them checked over, if you can, get it up to your local Wildlife Aid centre / hospital – a week in their care, on antibiotics with an MOT & full health check..! & ours is back rummaging around, happily doing that thing that Hogs do!!

Good Luck & let us know how you go?

It could also be metabolic bone disease. I suggest you get it caught and contact your nearest carer

I did wonder about the bone disease but have never actually seen a hog with it- not that I have seen very many.
    Marion- Please let us know what happens.

Your wildlife centre sounds very good. Do they treat the animals there or have a vet on site?
    When I took Cyclopsina to the local vet who deals with wildlife- I thought she might have lungworm- they didn’t do any tests . Just said they would give her anti biotics. The nurse also said if it was lungworm she would have green poo which I don’t think is right.
    I might have to drive further next time so that the hoggies get the best care.
    Our local wildlife place just asks if we can take them to the vet!

Simbo – https://www.wildlifeaid.org.uk/ – based in Leatherhead, Surrey, the team at WAF are amazing!

Committed wildlife vets & nurses – they’re literally, nonstop! The day I took ‘Fabio’ up, they had 30 other admissions! Lots of baby birds this time of the year.. but a downed, full grown Peregrine Falcon..?! WOW, right..?!

When I went back to collect our repaired Hog, a lady brought in 4 abandoned squeaky ‘Conkers’ ( Hoglets ) in a Shoe box – I’ve never seen anything like it ! Unbelievably cute, but clearly distressed & very vocal about it.. good to know they’d get the best care there

Well – typical hedgehog, she didn’t show up last night! In fact none of the 3 we have been watching did and food was hardly touched by 3am. It WAS raining, but they still have to eat! Maybe it was a good slug night.
    We’ll keep watching.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Hi Marion,
    I was wondering if the hedgehog with splayed legs ever showed up again?

Hi Puds,
    That wildlife centre looks great. It’s a shame I am about an hour away.
    Just taken a little hedgehog to the vet. Found wandering around at 11AM.
    I hope I have done the right thing and he wasn’t just out looking for a snack.
    Sometimes it’s hard to know what to do for the best.

Yeah, I saw your other Post there, Simbo – Hope the little ‘conker’ is going to be Ok..! All the bumpf I’ve read up on Hogs & everything says if they’re out in the day, then something’s seriously up – & I guess, especially a young’n..

Def the Vets as good a place as any to start – no luck finding a Wildlife Centre nearer to you, I guess..??

Hi,
    I have spoken to the vet and the little one is eating but poorly with a bad tummy so he is being treated. They have said to ring back in a couple of days. They think he might be too small to go back where we found him so might go to Brent Lodge about 50 minutes from me. Not sure why he wouldn’t go to the one that is nearer but maybe like me the vet isn’t overly impressed with them.
    Keeping everything crossed he will be OK.
    On another note Cyclopsina has vanished haven’t seen her for days now. I am very concerned as was thinking maybe she was mummy to the hoglets that have been seen and possibly the one we have just found. Also no sightings of Crem.
    It can be very worrying loving the hoggies so much.

I know – fun watching their antics when they’re all fighting fit, but you want to do everything you can when they’re not.. quirky little creatures that they are – vulnerable to all sorts & yet seem remarkably resilient – &, with a little help & consideration from a few fans, no reason they can’t thrive, really..

Sure the ‘conker’ will be fine – I was going to say, If I can help at all..? I’d be happy to run the little one to Leatherhead for you if you liked – I’m not sure if it’s appropriate, or there’s a facility here to message / PM / DM or the like..? Brent Lodge is about the same for me, but would be happy to make the round trip if it helps..

Hi puds.
    Thank you soooooo much for your offer. That’s so kind of you.
    The feeling I have is that the vet has a relationship with Brent lodge and all the transfers will be done between them. I will ring tomorrow for an update and hope he’s a bit better.
    As far a I know there have been no hoglets sightings or any sign of cyclopsina. There were 5 hoglets and I was hopeful they were still around.
    Trying to stay positive and thanks again for your offer. Where are you based? I’m west Sussex near Littlehampton.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog