Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hybernation times

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hybernation times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi all. Was looking for some advise please. I have been lucky enough to be regularly visited the last few years by hedgehogs. I do put food and water out for them, Although im unable to put a “tunnell” in my fence, I do have the fence pancels either side propped up a bit to allow them to access. My question is, is there a specific time they shoud hybernate? I ask as people have said to me that they should have by now and by me outting food out this would prevent that happening. Others have said its because they dont feel its cold enough to do so yet. I do try to do my bit and love my visits, but concernerned I may be putting off them hybernating. May be a daft question but just a bit concerned with the conflicting info im getting off people I feel dont truely know the answer, Thank you for any info.

You won’t put them off hibernating just because there is some food about. What we give them is only a supplement to their normal food and when it’s time for zzzzz’z it’s time for zzzzz’z.

Most of my local rabble have gone to bed now but I’ve still one coming in each night. They’re all different but NONE of them follow “rules” (Oh! How we wish they did!) so they’ll go when they want to.

Thanks for that, As much as love seeing them wouldn’t like to think I’m doing any harm.
    Appreciate your reply 😀

Hi, I still have one coming in too. It is a little under the required weight for hibernation so I am hoping it will continue feeding and put on enough weight to survive. It seems to vary when they hibernate. Last year the ones we had coming in disappeared exactly on November the 1st. Keep feeding until the food has been left for at least a couple of nights.

i have 2 visiting every night. The CCTV shows a larger (parent) hog from midnight for 45 mins & yesterday @ 0615 a young hog was feeding, despite the outside temp being -1°c & a ground frost. I have fresh water & meal worms out, although i am debating suet pellets too to help.
    I check the CCTV each day if food has gone etc.. Been coming for 4 months now, my pics on the gallery show a parent with 2 young

Hi.
    I am no expert but having read lots of posts on here and having contact with my local carer it is now thought that mealworms are a no-no when it comes to hedgehogs. They have no nutrition and can actually harm the hedgehogs causing brittle bones. Hedgehog food or good quality cat/kitten food is a much better source of supplementary feeding. Also fresh water is important.
    Good luck with the hogs

Exact please do not feed nuts, milk or meal worms. From nuts and meal arms they get brittle bone disease due to the poor phosphor calcium ratio. Ratio phosphor : calcium should be 1;1 or 1:2. Even cat food or cooked mince meat etc has sometimes the wrong ratio you could spike the calcium up by grinding egg shell and add this to it. Sorry for keeping writing this for the 3th or 4th time in the forum 😉 Have fun and luck with your hedgies!

Nic

Hi Martyn667

It’s really good that you are tryng to help the hedgehogs, but as suggested by others, mealworms have been discovered to be bad news for hedghogs – due to low nutritional value and the wrong ratios of calcium and phosphorous. My feeling is that suet pellets are not good for them either. Their normal diet is high protein and whilst it may seem counter-intuitive, as they need to put on weight for hibernation, it is not fat they need. I have read that they are prone to some of the same conditions which can effect humans if they eat too much fat. You are better off feeding good quality hedgehog/cat/kitten/dog food, as suggested.

For more information about feeding and mealworms please see:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/feed-hedgehogs/
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/i-feed-hedgehogs-mealworms/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog