Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK?

Home Forums Champions’ chat Is a house mounted on hardstanding OK?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Nic

Hi berniel

I’m not familiar with those cameras which you can put into nest boxes, etc. My only worry with putting them in a hibernation box, is do they give out any heat, or is it really minimal? Maintaining a regular heat is important during hibernation – if the temperature becomes too high, they might come out of hibernation.

I think, the best place to put a camera of that type is a feeding box, where you can see comings and goings and what actually happens in there. A hibernation box is probably going to be pretty boring, as the camera is likely to be covered over, if the hog has made a good hibernating nest.

I don’t envy you having to spend all that time sorting the cameras out. I also find it irritating that everything is geared towards smart phones, these days!

Re. the feeding box. I would leave that where it was initially, where the hogs knew where it was and just try to find a more sheltered place that won’t be disturbed for the hog house.

I hope you get a tenant for your hog house once you’ve decided where to locate it.

I was looking at the house again to plan where the ventilation holes will go when I noticed that the entry arch seemed a bit low. I’ve measured it and it’s just 4 inches high. I understood from instructions about constructing a feeding station that the recommended size was 5 inches wide and 5 inches high.

I don’t know enough about a hedgehog’s physiology to know whether or not they can squeeze themselves into small apertures (like a cat can, for instance), so I’d appreciate some advice about this! Thanks in advance.

Hi Berniel
    I have a feed station that has a 10 cm diameter pipe going into it and 2 large boys seem to be coping just fine.
    Hope that helps

Thank you Simbo65, that really helps.

Nic

Hi bernial

Simbo65 is right. Hogs can squeeze through quite small spaces if they want to, especially if it’s only a doorway. Someone from the Forum a while ago had a feeding box where the doorway was only 9cm high, although 10.5 wide with an arched top to the doorway. It was designed to deter cats! But apparently the hogs had no problem going in and out.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog