Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Sightings so far.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Sightings so far.

• This topic has 23 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Harvey and his rival back in action yesterday. Despite all the publicity about social distancing they just carry on as normal. I will have to have words 😄
    Harvey and rival

Nic

Oh Harvey – he never learns, does he! He’s never going to get anywhere unless they co-operate. I see one of the females is beginning to get the idea and is turning round in the middle of the male’s circle rather than just sitting there.

Have you noticed how the males ‘change their shapes’ when circling the females? Sometimes low and wide, but probably more of the time tall and thin (making themselves look bigger and more impressive from the side) and often slightly leaning in towards the females. That’s normal for these occasions, but there’s a good view of it.

Harvey was out again last night and at one point had quite a party going on.
    Video

Nic

Good old Harvey! Nice to see a bit of a congregation of hogs. Looked quite civilised!

I have several hedgehogs visiting my garden, some I recognise from last year but there are a couple which look younger which I don’t recognise.
    It’s going to be a busy season!

Hello all. First time I have posted on here, but I am after a bit of advice. We have at least three hedgehogs that visit our garden, plus a fox. They come into contact occasionally, but do not bother one another. However, in the last couple of weeks, we have also acquired at least two badgers as regular night visitors and our hedgehogs have become less frequent. The fox seems to have stopped coming altogether. A bit concerned about the welfare of the hogs and have tried to deter the badgers by locking gates and not putting peanuts out for the fox, but they are still finding their way in. Any suggestions, or other experiences welcome.

Hi all,

I’m so glad I watched those videos! I was traumatised this morning when I saw the bar fight between these two! I didn’t even know we had so many!!!
    https://twitter.com/BarnacleTheBear/status/1251807569552777218

Thats great to watch, what camera do you use? The night lights go a long way.

Nic

Hi BevHJ

I’ve answered your duplicate post re. badgers under Champions Chat.

Nic

Hi SmurfPrickles

That’s comparatively mild behaviour and there isn’t always even a female around! Hogs are solitary animals and males will often defend their personal space, wherever it happens to be. Although they will sometimes just try to avoid each other. They are more likely to meet at feeding stations than elsewhere, so these altercations are fairly frequent occurences. They have ranges, rather than territories and their ranges are likely to overlap with those of other hogs, both male and female.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog